28 September 2008

Stroke and Inflammation

Thank you so much for the overview on strokes! it really helped to have it in easy to understand an relevant format.
I just wanted to start off with the lay articles:
The first being the "Timing is Key" I never knew that there was a window of around 3 hours to get to the hospital while having a stroke. I always thought it was a spontaneous occurrence that couldn't be stopped after it had started. Also, I knew there were symptoms but I didn't know that they were precursors that once identified could help save the person from farther damage.
The second article which talks about the higher occurrence of stroke in Mexican Americans already has a post on it but i found this article that helps:

this article kind of explains a difference and it also states that "there are no existing data regarding the cerebrovascular disease burden faced by Mexican Americans, and estimates regarding the impact of stroke on the nation are therefore limited."

While reading the article on Nitric Oxide, I was somewhat confused and had to read it twice and I'm still sort of unclear on whether which is beneficial and which is not. Even at the end of the paper it says that it can be both. At one point is says that NOS1 and NOS2 are beneficial and that NOS3 is not but it then stays that studies are in conclusive. Just wondering if anyone figured it out?

The last articles discusses the inflammatory effects of stroke, but I'm wondering if there are any inflammatory precursors for stroke. I found on the American Heart Association website (http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4648) and they discussed CRP's (C-reactive proteins) and their effect on the cardiovascular system, which we have talked about before. I just think it's a good cross over between diabetes that we discussed before and now stroke. It is interesting the the same CRP's can lead to multiple issues in the body that can cause a variety of events.

No comments: