24 September 2008

News realse and article about Metabolic Syndrome

When I was looking into metabolic syndrome I wondered: how at risk are people to this disorder? I found a news release that directed me back to our topic of life style choices. It's a summary of an article that was published this summer about alcohol consumption (also posted).  




 I thought that they used an ample number of subjects and were very honest about the limitations of accuracy from some of the methods used in the study. Does anyone have any opinions on the design of the investigtation?

3 comments:

ZoeC495 said...

This is very interesting!! I find it strange that this journal defines drinking as "2 drinks/day for men and 1 drink/day for women" when there's evidence that moderate drinking (I guess I'm not sure what the definition of that is now) can prevent other illnesses...what do you think?

AleksB495 said...

I think it might depend on the type of alcohol perhaps? Red wine for heart health and antioxidants? A shot of vodka as a diuretic blood thinner? Maybe they are using self-reported data that would most likely be skewed or the actual risk factors increase when people binge drink! My guess is that they are politically tilted toward the negatives of alcohol because the research was funded by a federal entity and wanna avoid law suits.

TracyC595 said...

I found a good article defining moderate drinking from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism if anyone is interested.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh23-1/05-14.pdf