03 November 2008

Italian Arthritis

In class we discussed multiple articles that had come out of Italy to the 1990’s; so I wanted to know if their were any reasons for this.   I searched for evidence of this trend and could only find one that discussed the subject and it claims “prevalence of RA is low in Italy”.  Low prevalence of RA does make sense in a country whose traditional food staples are whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, and fish.  All of which are included in a good anti-arthritis diet according to the article we read last week in Environmental Nutrition. 

 

I could not find any special reason why arthritis was of such interest to Italian researchers in the 1990’s. 

2 comments:

Morganr said...

I agree that it does make sense that Arthritis is low in a country with the culture's diet being well-balanced. But one thing that makes me curious is why would a country with low prevalence of a condition spend a great deal of time studying it? It seems to be almost contradictory. It is well understood why IBD is studied in countries with a high Jewish population. I don't know...food for thought.

CodyW495 said...

That was the interesting thing, I could not find anything to explain it.